Thursday, September 1, 2011

That's not my name

Our school district wide meeting was the morning and our music department started off the meeting with performances.  I sang the Star Spangled Banner with another one of the music teachers and managed to (almost) hold it together.  So, no joke, I got choked up 3 times in the space of about 5 minutes.  The pledge of allegiance started me off, then I looked over at Niamh while we were singing and almost started again, and then cried when it was over.  Is this ever going to stop?  I hope so because I'm singing at two 9-11 memorial services next weekend and I am going to need to keep it together.  Check back on the 12th to see if I do any better keeping myself together.

The superintendent acknowledged me and Niamh before her speech and mispronounced my last name. Then, at the staff meeting my principal mispronounced my name.  I laugh it off and my friends laugh with me but really??  It's not that hard.  I know, it's long, a whole 4 syllables, but it's phonetic.  There are no silent letters, no weird combinations...it's a basic Italian last name.  Now, I may not respond to it immediately because it's still new, but c'mon!  As the the Ting Tings sing...That's Not My Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment