Monday, October 17, 2011

Volunteer Sunday

Sunday was about doing things for others, a perfect tribute to our annivesary.  And, it kept me from having too much time on my hands to get bummed out.

I woke up at 5:30am to go volunteer at the American Cancer Society's Making Strides for Breast Cancer walk.  I was working at the registration along with my parents and my aunt Eileen.  It was more fun than I had anticipated and I told Katie (the sister helping run the event) that I'd definitely do it next year.  The walkers were so positive and there was pink everywhere!  It was such an amazingly positive morning.

I sang at a local nursing home Sunday afternoon with the Hudson Voices.  We sang 4 songs on each of 5 floors of the facility for a wide variety of patients.  It can be hard to sing to people who are completely unresponsive, as they were on a couple of floors but I hope that something made through.  The nurses and caretakers did seem to enjoy the performances, too. 

The afternoon made me think of both of my grandmothers and different times.  They both spent time in nursing care for different reasons and I tried to imagine how much they would have enjoyed a performance.  We did have one woman on the last floor we visited who was dancing in her wheelchair along with us....that would have been my Grandma absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment