Monday, January 2, 2012

Immersion Blender

I am such a dork that I asked for an immersion blender for Christmas.  It was all I had imagined and possibly more.  So far I've made parsnip puree (inspired by all those episodes of Top Chef) and last night an acorn squash soup.  Thanks to this nifty little blender I was able to make some healthy veggies even more delicious without ruining how good they are for me.  I used a little tip that I got from the nutritionist at Canyon Ranch and substituted broth for most of the cream/milk in each of the recipes.  I totally forgot to take pictures, so you'll have to trust me that they look as good as they tasted.

Do you look at recipes like I do?  I knew what I wanted to make for each of these but couldn't find recipes to match.  So I looked at quite a few and created my own using the amounts of liquid, etc from 2-3 recipes as a guidelines.  Here's what I came up with for the soup. (I used an Alton Brown recipe, a couple of random recipe websites and what was in my fridge to create this)


Ingredients


    1 Acorn Squash, cooked-almost 2 Cups 
    1tps olive oil 
    1/2 Onion, chopped 
    2 C vegetable broth 
    Salt and Pepper to taste 
    dash of ground ginger 
    dash of ground nutmeg  
    dash of cinnamon 
    1/2 C light cream

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash in half, clean out seeds. Place flesh side down in a baking dish. Fill with water up to about 1/2 inch. Bake for 45 minutes.

When cooked through, scoop out flesh and set aside.

Finely chop onion and sautee in 1 tsp olive oil in a medium saucepan.

Add 1/2 cup broth and then cooked squash. Stir in the rest of the broth and spices. Simmer for about 10 minutes.  This made a giant mess until I turned the heat WAY down...it's very thick so the burbles and bubbles will made a mess of your stovetop!

Using an immersion blender, blend soup together and blend in the 1/2 Cup cream. When blended, simmer another 10 minutes

Serving Size: make 3 1-Cup servings

Number of Servings: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment