Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Moonshiners

Monday night I was finishing up some work to get ready for the crazy school week ahead and got totally hooked a new reality show.  Moonshiners is about the constant cat and mouse game going on in Appalachia between law enforcement and the moonshiners.  It is hysterical.  I think I was pulled in by Tim, the "lead moonshiner" who wears a pair of denim overalls, no shirt and a boonie hat almost exclusively.  The outfit is so stereotypical I was sure it was contrived.  Then the cops in their head-to-toe camouflage show up and I realize this show is in a completely different world than the one I live in.

Highlights so far:
  • I have an expanded vocabulary with phrases like "Nip Joint" where moonshine is sold to those who'd like to drink it
  • I learned that both and drinking  moonshine can kill you.  I didn't really need another reason not to try it, but there ya go.
  • Turns out that Tim is a volunteer fireman and former Army.  Not all "bad guys" are all bad, I guess.
  • "Always treat your shotgun like it's loaded.  And then keep it loaded cuz that's the point"

Seriously, I could not make this up if I wanted to.  I am fascinated and honestly don't know who to "root" for.  As a LEO wife I feel for the cops, but this Tim guy is sort of endearing.

*watched the 2nd to last episode Tuesday night and Tim did some research on going "legit."  I can't believe how much money from liquor production goes to taxes!!!  I am going to appreciate my wine a little more now...

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA I love that show too! Have you checked out Swamp people. the one about the alligator hunters, too funny. I think the accents in both are great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna-I haven't seen the Swamp People, I'll keep an eye out for it. Season finale for my Moonshiners tonight, yay!!!

    ReplyDelete